Visit the Culture of the Countryside page for details of the Sainsbury Centre's Culture of the Countryside project. Read more »
On Tour: Art as a window on the world
2004 - 2006
During the period of gallery closure between 2004 and 2006 the Centre developed and expanded upon its outreach projects with The Sainsbury Centre On Tour.
On Tour offered a lively programme of projects, workshops and INSET events for schools and other organisations, delivered by a creative team made up of arts practitioners, educators, Sainsbury Centre staff and guides. It also offered teachers and others a professional development programme, including museum and gallery careers talks and training.
Read more about our On Tour partners »
The On Tour theme - Art as a Window on the World - underpins all the Centre's projects with discovery about how art can both reflect the world and lead us to enjoy perceptions of a wider world. The project used the Sainsbury Centre's handling collection of objects from around the world and was supported by exciting resources including images, sounds and materials.
On Tour projects aim to:
- stimulate enjoyment in looking and seeing
- foster greater knowledge and understanding of objects and sensitivity to cultural difference
- stimulate reflection, imagination and creativity
- enable participants to express thoughts and share points of view
- inspire creative researchers and thinkers